Frequently asked questions
Can I receive constant infrared heat from my Clearlight Far Infrared Sauna?
Yes. The ideal way to use any infrared sauna is to have the infrared heaters on the entire time producing the optimal infrared heat you desire. Infrared heat is most effective at lower temperatures as sweat oils secrete at lower temperatures and this sweat is different than water sweat. Your Clearlight Far Infrared sauna is designed to heat your body more so than to heat the cabin (about 80% of the heat heats your body and 20% of the heat heats the sauna cabin). The following is our recommendation for use of your sauna:
- Turn your sauna on and set the controller to between 38 and 40.5°C. It should take about 15-20 minutes to reach that temperature depending on the ambient room temperature.
- After this short warm up time, get in the sauna and turn the temperature on the thermostat up very high (60-71°C).
- Sit back and enjoy your sauna session. Since the key to infrared therapy is heating your body core, you will find that you sweat more sitting up in the sauna with your back lined up with the back wall heaters heating your body core from the back. This positions you in such a way that the front wall heaters will be heating your front body core.
- During your session the temperature will slowly climb inside the sauna cabin. Remember, your Clearlight Infrared Sauna is heating your body more so than heating the air.
- Stay Well Hydrated. We put this in bold because it is essential to stay well hydrated when using your sauna. It is estimated that 70% of people are dehydrated. When you are dehydrated, your body holds on to water and will not allow you to sweat very much. It is recommended to drink water before you get in the sauna and bring a quart of water into the sauna with you and drink it during your session.
How is my Clearlight Infrared Sauna shipped and will it be delivered into my house?
Your new Clearlight Far Infrared Sauna will generally arrive in your state within 5-7 days from the date it leaves our warehouse. As part of our commitment to exceptional customer service, we ship every Clearlight Infrared Saunas with a few higher levels of service. First, our freight carrier will call to schedule an appointment to deliver your sauna. There is no worry that your sauna will arrive unexpectedly. Second, your sauna will be delivered on a truck with a lift gate to ensure that any possibility of freight damage is minimized. Third, the delivery driver will move your sauna off of the truck and bring it into your garage or the first dry area. At this point, just open up the boxes and move the panels into place. Setup time for all of our sauna models is about 45 minutes to an hour. White glove service is available. If you need your sauna delivered into your house or up or down stairs, please just give us a call
How does a far infrared sauna work?
The idea behind infrared therapy is to heat your body directly with far infrared heat. In a traditional sauna you are just sitting in a hot room - 82-105°C. In an infrared sauna, the heat is heating your body directly and only 20% of the heat is heating the air. You want to heat your body core, meaning your front core and your back core. Your body absorbs the infrared heat and reacts to it. The infrared heat raise your core body temperature and stimulates your lymphatic system, immune system and your cardiovascular system. Your bodies response to that is to sweat profusely. In addition to the infrared heat triggering a profuse sweat, the water in our bodies also resonate with far infrared heat and this also helps with the detoxification process. With this in mind, you now understand why we stress the importants of both front and back wall heaters in an infrared sauna. If you do not have front heaters in your sauna, you will not raise your core body temperature as well and you will not receive as much of the desired effect. All of our Clearlight Infrared Saunas have heaters all around you... on your front, back, sides and legs.
Can I put my Clearlight Far Infrared Sauna outside?
Yes, all Clearlight Infrared Sauna Models can be used outside. Because we use high-pressure bindings and precision handcraftsmanship, our sauna cabinetry can endure outdoor humidity and dryness as long as you protect it with our optional waterproof cover. Infrared saunas are designed to heat the human body, not the air. Only about 20% of the heat from our heaters goes to heat the air. Because of this, if you live in a place where the temperature gets below 4°C, we don't recommend putting the sauna outside. It will take much longer for the cabin to warm up and it will not get as hot. Please consult one of our infrared sauna specialists for more information about putting your sauna outside.
Is far infrared heat safe?
Infrared heat is completely safe and all objects give off and receive infrared heat. In fact, it is so safe, hospitals use similar heaters to warm newborns. Infrared is a part of nature and essential for life. The human body gives off and receives infrared in the far infrared band. When a mother rubs a babies stomach to relieve pain, it is the infrared heat from her hand that is causing the healing effect. We have tuned our True Wave heaters to give off far infrared in this same range for maximum absorption by your body and for maximum therapeutic benefits.
Do you just sell your True Wave II far infrared heaters individually?
Absolutely. We have designed a UL certified far infrared heater kit and control panel system so you can install our True Wave II heaters in your already existing sauna or one your are building yourself. You can even install these in that small room you've always wanted to convert into a sauna The heater package consists of enough heaters for your designated space, digital keypad control and power supply and all necessary cables.
Why is Cedar best?
The traditional sauna for thousands of years has been made predominately from close grain cedar for many obvious reasons:
- Cedarwood is soft wood that resists the cracking and splitting caused by the heating up and cooling down in the sauna. No sauna wood lasts longer than cedarwood.
- Cedarwood contains aromatic oils that are known for their healing and cleansing properties to aid detoxification during the sauna. Cedarwood can also help disperse excess fluids throughout the body.
- Cedarwood is naturally anti-fungal and anti-bacterial owing to the unique properties of the cedar oil. This is especially important in the sauna where bodies, moisture and heat combine to make the environment perfect for molds and bacteria.
- Cedarwood is one of the most beautiful woods available ranging from a very light honey to a deep walnut shade.
- Cedarwood smells good and gives you a true experience. Normally a "non-aromatic"cedar is used in sauna construction that is very subtle and satisfying to the senses
- Cedarwood can be easily sanded inside the sauna to remove any stains caused by perspiration and to bring back the fresh cedar smell.
- There is a lot of misinformation about cedar wood on the internet. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) put it best in their September, 1993 report: “EPA believes it is unnecessary to regulate these products because they pose little or no risk to human health or the environment…EPA is not aware of any evidence of injury to human health or the environment due to their use.”
What is the optimum infrared frequency for an infrared sauna?
The infrared frequency of any infrared heater is determined by the surface temperature of the heater itself. The lower the surface temperature of the heater, the longer the infrared wave and the more beneficial the infrared heat will be. Our large True Wave II™ heaters run at an optimal 93°C surface temperature producing exceptional quality far infrared heat. This means our heaters produce the majority of the infrared heat in the vital wave range of 5 to 15 microns with a good portion of wavelengths at 9.4, the optimal absorption range of far infrared by the human body. Only Clearlight Infrared True Wave II heaters combine the high infrared output of ceramic with long wave carbon infrared heat to produce the most effective infrared heaters available. You can only find this patented combination at Clearight Infrared Saunas!
How long is the warranty on my Clearlight Infrared Sauna?
Sauna Works prides itself on being one of the few companies that provides you with a lifetime warranty on the entire sauna - heaters, wood, controls and electrical. Your Clearlight Infrared Sauna is built in a modular fashion so replacing parts or panels is never an issue. We only use the highest quality materials in each Clearlight Infrared Sauna to minimize the possibility of warranty issues. Very few infrared sauna companies offer this type of complete lifetime warranty.
Will I need to hire an electrician?
Different saunas have different requirements for electrical receptacles, however, only three of our sauna models will require more than the standard housing socket (10 amp). Before your sauna arrives please check that you have the correct electrical receptacle and amperage for your sauna. For the non-standard outlets, you may require the assistance of an electrician if you do not currently have such an outlet. Standard (10 amp) power outlets are required for the: Essential Saunas, Premier Saunas IS-1 & IS-3, Sanctuary Saunas 1-2, and the Clearlight Curve Sauna Dome/Pad 240v/15 amp power outlets are required for the: Premier Sauna IS-5, Sanctuary 3, Sanctuary Y, and Sanctuary C 240v/20 amp power outlets are required for the: Sanctuary Outdoor